Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital library
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Feb 14 13:52:49 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Jim wrote:

> I'm currently working with a local library on a promotion/expansion
> project.
> One of the first questions the community asks is "how big should it
> be?"  If
> we're considering the needs of 2012, and if Google does achieve
> something
> like a universal online library, how would that affect the community
> library?  Perhaps the community shouldn't build a bigger paper
> warehouse,
> but instead invest in more computers, high speed data lines, and
> limit paper
> to high-circulation books and childrens books.  It may also require
> retraining librarians in web search techniques.

It's not just Google. Digital access is becoming the method of choice
for the expansion of university libraries. Most newly fledged
librarians are well trained in methods of digital access to
materials. It is far easier and less costly for a library to
subscribe to digital bibliographic services than to build buildings
and shelves to house real books. Most technical and research journals
are available on line and most magazines publish an internet edition.
The New York Times has floated the idea of dropping its print
editions entirely within the next few years. Even LUG photos are
downloadable (slowly) on line. Do a Google search for "digital
libraries" to get a feel for what is available. Of course the process
will be resisted by traditional librarians who cherish the feel of
bound books - but this is the 21st. century and books are so 16th
century.

Larry Z