Subject: [Leica] OT: Epson 3800 Printer Info Request
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Feb 12 13:24:39 2007

I've had my 3800 since October. I'd guess I've printed 1500 pages with it.
Great printer.

It is maddeningly incompatible with Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 308 paper, of
which I have a lot. I think I'll probably try to sell my unopened boxes of
that stuff on eBay, because I don't have the patience to get it through my
3800. It jams and misfeeds something terrible. And once a sheet has jammed a
dozen times, its edge is buggered enough that it will never feed properly.

For glossy prints I just use the Epson Premium Glossy paper and I'm happy
with it. Glossy is glossy, after all, and prints made on fancy glossy paper
don't seem to me to look any different from prints made on adequate glossy
paper.

For matte prints I use Crane Museo Silver Rag 300 paper, and I've pretty
much stopped looking because it does everything I want. It doesn't come in
my favorite size (11x14 or 11x17) but I know how to cut down larger sizes.

I had trouble finding the Epson paper profiles for the 3800. The Museo
profiles were on crane.com and very easy to find. I forgot to write down
where I finally found the Epson profiles. I would hope that by now they are
just shipping with the printer.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: Epson 3800 Printer Info Request)