Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Mon Feb 12 07:21:17 2007

Philippe Orlent wrote:

> What are your impressions of the following lenses?
> Canon EF 24-70mm L f2.8 USM
>
> Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
>
> Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM

I have all three, well my 70-200 is the non IS version, and all are
excellent lenses and I love all of them.  They are big and heavy but
deliver excellent imagery.  One lens that you do not have in your list
that I'd recommend is the 24 1.4L.  That is a very nice lens and with
the excellent high ISO of the 5D it makes available light in even the
worst of circumstances.  I'd consider the 16-35, 24 1.4, 50 1.4 and the
70-200 2.8.  Unless somewhere in the 24-70 range is your favorite
shooting area.  Since getting the 5D I have found this is my shooting
style and my 24-70 gets less use than it used to.

> And, if you'd only keep one lens on your analog M, which one would
> that be?
> I was thinking of selling everything except for one good M body, and
> then buying a Summilux 35 ASPH to glue on it forever. A perfect B&W
> street dedicated machine, so to speak.

Hmmm...well I have always said cameras come and go but they will have to
pry my Leica's from my cold dead hands.  I really do not think I'd part
with any of my M stuff unless I was in terrible straights.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)