Subject: [Leica] Does the Minolta 40mm f2 hood fit the Summicron 40mm f2 lens?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 11 17:22:10 2007

On 2/11/07 6:42 PM, "Vick Ko" <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> typed:

> Does the Minolta 40mm f2 hood fit the Summicron 40mm f2 lens?
>
> I've found a reference that the 40mm Summicron lens is 39mm x 0.75mm thread
> (whereas the normal thread is 39mm x 0.5).
>
> keh has a hood for the Minolta for sale; will it fit my Summicron lens?
>
> regards
> Vick

I just use a retaining ring as my hood. Its my most used lens,
I consider it a pancake. And thus worthy of minimal to non hoods.
Also I get no sings of ghosting or loss of contrast without the flimsy
stupid rubber hood.
I mentioned yesterday how lots of pretty good people used to always use pre
ASPH 35mm Summicrons and Summilux' s sans hoods. The design of the lens is
just too compact to mess up with a hood to double its size. And the results
seem to bare out ok with it.

But a big reason is the effect it has on when you point it at people.
A cute little pancake lens I think is much less threatening to people than
something jutting out at them gunlike.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N