Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Sun Feb 11 08:35:55 2007

Hi Phillipe,

As one who resolved my version of the same dilemma with first a Digital
Rebel and now a 30D, let me add my $0.02.

Like Don, I would endorse the 17-40 unless you absolutely need the faster
aperture.  The lens is extremely sharp (but with the 30D I don't have to
worry
about edge sharpness).  What impresses me most is its speed of  focus. The
lens seems to lock on instantly.

In general, the DSLR is a large camera to begin with; you're always trading
off aperture against size/weight.  So I'd look at the both the f/2.8 and
f/4
lenses and decide for myself if the extra f-stop is worth it.

One other thing I'd suggest looking at with a DSLR system is the DXO Optics
Pro software.  I believe you can download a free beta version.  It's  got an
optics algorithm that corrects distortion, vignetting ,  aberrations and
purple
fringing based on the camera/lens combination (huge  impact on the bottle
glass kit lens on a Digital Rebel, but still quite  effective). It also has
lighting engine that pulls detail out of the shadows  without blowing out
highlights and a good noise control engine.  The  latest version adds
perspective
controls, which I have not used  yet. Except for the basic optical
adjustments,
all are user  controllable.  DXO also has an excellent RAW batch  processor.

I have no affiliation with DXO, just a satisfied customer.

Best regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)