Subject: [Leica] Re: Slightly OT: To Crop Or Not
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Sat Feb 10 07:38:47 2007

I don't see this as an either/or issue. "Crop in the camera"
(if you have the time) can work and "Crop the print" can
also work.  With shades of gray it's really a non-issue as
B&W images are abstract by nature to start with.

Putting a negative in an enlarger (or photoslop) and cropping
the print is as natural as tying your shoe once it's on your foot.
It became a part of the process ( in the projection print) a long
long time ago.  In my view, it's no more or less important than
any of the other compositional and technical elements we use
i.e. selective focus, chemical reagent selection,dodge/burn, add/
remove contrast...etc etc.

It's all about the final view.  Looking at it depends for effect
solely on the psyche of the viewer, which may be quite different
from that of the photographer's anyway.

Montie

Replies: Reply from wmrav at triad.rr.com (William Ravenel) ([Leica] Re: Slightly OT: To Crop Or Not)