Subject: [Leica] IMG: More IR on M8
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Sun Feb 4 20:54:21 2007

Some more IR images, from the Getty Museum in Los Angeles.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/IR/L1000407.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/IR/L1000412.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rjrose/IR/L1000421.jpg.html

There are two non-IR images in the same album, to compare.  Which do
you think works better?

The amount of exposure necessary really varies throughout the day.
The A setting does a good job on exposure.  At times really high ISO
is needed, but the noise ("grain") reminds me of the grain from Kodak
High Speed Infrared.

A red filter doesn't seem to work well.

Some of the images (not these) are fuzzy.  I am pretty sure that it
is not focus shift; perhaps it is a cousin to blooming that occurs in
IR film.  Sharpening helps, as does slight underexposure.

I am using Adobe Camera Raw to open the DNG file.  I turn on the
clipping warnings, and then adjust the Temperature and tint to
minimize clipping.  Then I use Nik Color Efex Pro; BW Conversion
Tonal Enhancer to convert to BW, and then do a final adjustment using
Levels.  Bringing the middle slider up seems to make the image more
dramatic.

Lots of fun research ahead.

Cheers,
Bob Rose

Robert Rose
robert.rose@mac.com
Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty
when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom
are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded
rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
Louis Brandeis, Olmstead v. US (1928)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] IMG: More IR on M8)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] IMG: More IR on M8)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: More IR on M8)