Subject: [Leica] OT Nokton 40mm f1.4
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Jan 30 12:10:48 2007

Jeff le Kiwi

Difficult to answer your question. Which is the "real 35" for you? I for
instance use the 35 asph Lux mostly since i have it - and the Nokton, my
favourite lens before that purchase, is gathering dust - that's all i can
say. But the Nokton is better than it's reputation which is mostly reduced
to "harsh bokeh", at least on this list. It has quite a few advantages, and
the bokeh is no issue when stopped down 1 stop only.

I'd characterize it this way:

-Size, weight and speed like the old pre asph 35 Summilux - small, light,
fast.
-Very sharp and very contrasty.
-A good all-purpose-lens with a all-purpose focal length.
-Extremely affordable.
-Bokeh of highlights in the background is not what most available light
shooters are looking for - a bit harsh, unnatural. But this changes
immediately when you stop down to f2 or f2.8

"Problematic" bokeh at f1.4:
http://mogool.com/transfer/index.php?img=28 (do mind those white circles)
http://mogool.com/transfer/index.php?img=30
http://mogool.com/transfer/index.php?img=31

Bokeh ok for me:
f1.4 http://mogool.com/transfer/index.php?img=29 (dont mind the white
circles, here)
f2.0 http://tinyurl.com/yqbu75

-single/multicoated: I have the singlecoated version. Can't say what's the
difference as I have never used the other version. The S.C. is more suited
for b&w photography, so I believe it's color rendering might be minor
compared to the MC.
-The focus barrel was a bit stiff in the beginning, but became very smooth
after a lot of use.

:-)
Cheers
Didier