Subject: [Leica] Agfa Scala processing, Was: IMG: my new rangefinder
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Wed Dec 13 09:05:59 2006

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

>Hi Colin,
>
>I (and other people who shoot film) am fortunate in that Amsterdam
>has the best pro lab I have seen anywhere, s-Color. They have
>developed every single roll I have shot since moving to the
>Netherlands in early 2003, including traditional and chromogenic B&W,
>Agfa Scala, E6--all in both 35mm and medium format. They have never
>failed me in any way. I think that part of my motivation for not
>abandoning film entirely is a subconscious desire to help keep people
>like s-Color in business.
>
>You can read more about them here: http://www.scolor.nl/index2.html.
>The site is mostly in Dutch, but if you phone them, I am sure they
>speak English. They used to be open on weekends, and until midnight
>on weekdays, but nowadays with the lower volume of film processing
>they are only open Monday-Friday. Since I live 40 km from Amsterdam
>and work even further away, they have set up an account for me--I
>send them the film, they send me back the negatives/slides (one-day
>turnaround), and once in a while they send me a bill. So in principle
>they should be able to do the same for you in the UK; the postage
>cost would be slightly higher, but other than that I see no reason
>why not.
>
>Another option is for you to mail me your exposed Scala and I will
>have it developed and send the film back to you. If you want to
>pursue that option, contact me off-list.

Nathan,

Thank you so much for this information and for your very kind offer.

In London we used to have a similar company, Joe's Basement, for whom
nothing was too much trouble.  Joe's Basement also had the only UK
processing facility for Agfa Scala.

This is all in the past tense, because Joe's Basement closed many months
ago, being hit hard by the digital revolution.

Another LUG member has sent me details of a lab in Germany that does mail
order and, importantly, also takes credit cards for payment.  That is very
important to me because the UK did not join the Euro Zone and still has
pound sterling for its currency.

Sending money from the UK in Euros is easy using IBAN/BIC but it costs me
over Euro 37,00 for each transaction.  This is just plain silliness.  So I
will try the lab in Germany first, and use my VISA card.

But thank you again for your very kind offer and for the useful information.
 You are lucky to have s-Color and I hope that they stay in business for a
very long time.

Best regards,

Colin