Subject: [Leica] Analog and digital, M7 and M8, scanning, vinyl records, CDs
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 05:27:44 2006

Hello,
  Back to cameras. Well, even though I have been shooting digital for a
number of years and am happy with the M8, I went ahead and purchased a .58
M7, which should arrive in a day or so. As Ted said, wide angle is far
superior on film cameras. I can't wait to play with the 15mm lens on the M7.

  In the meantime, I purchased a Contax G2 kit to give to my father as a
gift. I shot a few rolls and had them processed. I love the look of the film
 (Tri-X and Ilford XP5), the graininess of it, it fits New York very well. I
am not happy with the scans done by "pro" lab. In some of the good shots,
say, of my wife, there is a big "hair" like object curled around the middle
of her forehead! I'm paying a premium for that? Noise I can deal with, but
scans of hair get me down.
I think I will just buy that Nikon Coolscan. Will my results be a lot better
or will dust and hair ruin my life?

  It is funny but I see my interest in photography related to my interest in
bulding a high-end audio system. I started out building a fairly good
system, with a CD player, class A amp, good speakers, cables etc, etc. After
a while, I felt something was missing and wandered into a store where the
salesman played some vinyl for me. The difference between the vinyl and CDs
was stunning. Sure, there was noise in the vinyl playback but there was more
life, dimensionality, snap. Now, I have both vinyl and CD playback and am
happy. So, now I will have both digital capture and analog capture, ying and
yang. Film leads to digital, digital leads to film, it is circular.

  Regards,

  Larry K.