Subject: [Leica] NYT fashion shoot
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed Nov 29 09:48:04 2006

John Heintz wrote:

>Thanks for the link. The photos are tasty and fun.
>'Picasso' might more appropriately have been called 'Magritte' with
>the bowler hat and pipe.
>
>http://www.magritte.com/5_1.cfm?img=04<http://www.magritte.com/5_1.cfm?img=04>

 <http://www.magritte.com/5.cfm>>http://www.magritte.com/5.cfm

Very observant, John.  Do you think maybe that's why it was placed next to
the Magritte, which isn't a remake of an actual Magritte painting but a
ricochet off of the Venus in his "Menottes de Cuivre" by way of the Pipe and
Bowler paintings?

But Witkin's 'Picasso' is a remake of a real painting from the Rose Period:
"Boy with Pipe" done in 1905.  Only instead of the bowler the Boy with Pipe
wore a laurel wreath, which in the remake is echoed by the silver pattern on
the Chanel hat.
<
http://www.soho-art.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.pl?fid=1043841419&cgifunction=form

Witkin is full of this kind of trickery.  This is why this project was so
interesting for my daughter, who just received her BFA.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE