Subject: [Leica] IR cutoff
From: roy at detroitphotographic.com (Roy Feldman)
Date: Sun Nov 19 06:04:02 2006

I have, in the past, been a victim of cameras that need a hot mirror filter
(several DCS models) and in fact have a friend that makes the glass that
goes in them. According to him it is an extremely thin coating that is
designed to cut off certain wave lengths.
His question to me was why not apply this coating to the glass covering the
sensor? The Popular Photo article seems to imply that this (frequency) cut
off is determined by the thickness of the filter (on the sensor) but my
friend got a very strange look on his face when I mentioned this reply,
especially since the Leica spokesman said that there was some coating on the
sensor filter already.Remember not to equate the function of an anti-alies
filter
I have no basis for my assumption that to pull out the existing sensor
filters and re coat them or apply a new sensor cover with a stronger IR cut
off would cost too much.
After all, the solution for Kodak sensors since the beginning has been to
force buyers into hot mirror filters and this is one of the reasons the
Kodak professional line of digital cameras has been such a roaring success
story.

--
Roy Feldman, photojournalism & editorial photography

Replies: Reply from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] IR cutoff)