Subject: [Leica] Medium and Miniature Format Cameras Today
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Nov 17 16:02:03 2006

At 06:04 PM 11/17/2006, G Hopkinson wrote:
 >DaveR, all that you say is true. From my perspective, market forces,
 >not lack of performance have driven medium format film cameras
 >to near extinction. Locally, Mamiyas, Bronicas and Blads can hardly be
 >given away for a fraction of their former value. Yet the
 >photos they produce of course, are superb. That's what I meant by crazy.

Well, Hasselblad is effectively dead now, so
there are damn few folks still standing up in the
market:  I guess Rollei and Kiev are pretty much
the whole of the word, so to speak as of late
2006.  Is Noblex still about?  What about that
"new" Alpa?  Are any MF cameras still being made in the Orient?

There was a LOT of buzz back around 1990 among MF
manufacturers about down-sizing their cameras to
make 127 the new standard.  All of them declined
to do so, though the thought of a 3/4 sized
Hasselblad is interesting.  The reason for this
proposal was simple:  by 1990, 4cm by 4cm films
could provide greater detail and quality than 6cm
by 6cm could deliver in 1939.  But this was not
to be as even the most conservative camera
companies knew, by then, that digital was the
wave of the future and that MF would soon become a niche market at best.

MF will survive for years as there are just too
many cameras in use out there (I own four
Rolleiflex TLR's from an Automat Type III to a
GX, two Super Ikonta B's, two Ikoflices, a Kiev
88, and three Hasselblads, along with a few other
oddities, and I regularly use the Rolleiflex
TLR's and the Super Ikonta B's, just by way of
example).  But new MF camera production is making
a Great Sucking Sound as it disappears.  Rollei
will survive as the market for professional-grade
MF gear will allow them to survive as a sidebar
to the major companies but the handwriting is on
the wall and, in another generation or less, as
digital technology advances, they will probably
restrict production to cameras for the
hard-of-thinking such as myself, who insist on
using old technology out of a respect to not wanting to learn new tricks.

There are still Swiss concerns making mechanical
watch movements, for that matter -- I wear a GP
which I had overhauled at the factory a few years
back.  But these are now minor players.

Film will remain available.  You can still buy
127 and 620 film new and in-date, and 120 will
survive as a specialty market but it will no
longer interest the big players in imaging.

Rolleiflex gear has held its value as user
cameras.  Hasselblad and Mamiya have done so, as
well, but to a lesser degree.  And there are
collectibles -- Ikoflex III and Rolleiflex 2.8
and Microcords and Superbs and the like -- but
few purchase these for use.  Otherwise, I agree
with Hoppy that the bottom has fallen out of the
used MF market.  It is a grand time to be a user.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO) ([Leica] Medium and Miniature Format Cameras Today)