Subject: [Leica] Re: Marines - Full Metal Jacket
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Oct 13 15:14:28 2006

This a portion of the "Full Metal Jacket" shooting script that has
the rifle training sequence:

      Shots of the platoon firing their rifles.

      On the third day of our seventh week we move
      to the rifle range and shoot holes in paper
      targets.

      Later they are grouped around Gerheim. "Does
anyone known who Charles Whitman was?"
      Blank faces.
      "None of you dumbasses knows?"
      Cowboy slowly raises his hand.
      "Private Cowboy?"
      "Was he the guy that shot a lot of people
from a roof?"
      "That's right, Private Cowboy.  He shot and
killed twelve people from a 28-story observation
tower at the University of Texas, from distances
of up to four hundred yards."
      The recruits look impressed.
      "Does anybody know who Lee Harvey Oswald
was?"
      That's easy.  Almost every hand goes up.
      "Private Snowball?"
      Private Snowball says, "He shot Kennedy, Sir!"
      "That's right.  And do you know how far away
he was?"
      "It was pretty far.  From that book
suppository building, sir!"
      "Two hundred and fifty" feet.  He was two
hundred and fifty feet away and shooting at a
moving target.  He got off three shots with a bolt
action rifle in six seconds, and got two hits,
including a head shot.  Do you know where those
men learned to shoot like that?"
      No one knows. Joker raises his hand.
      "Private Joker."
      "In the Marines sir?"
      "In the Marines.  Outstanding!  Now those
people did not put their Marine training to a good
purpose but they showed what a Marine with his
rifle can do, and before I am through you will all
be able to do the same thing."

Now I prefer to do all my shooting with a Leica, but I also know that
I can shoot a bullet lengthwise through a cigarette at a distance of
50 ft. At least I could 50 years ago.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Re: Marines - Full Metal Jacket)