Subject: [Leica] RE: Digital questions
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Mon Oct 9 19:34:56 2006

Alastair, Nathan -

Thanks for your inputs - I appreciate the help.

I'm aware of the slippery slope - I expect to jump full on later - I've been
living with the hybrid approach for years now.

I have a 3.2 gig machine with 2GB ram for running PS7, along with a scanner
and printer for output, but have
been living with film as I also shoot 4x5 for a lot of my scenic work, and
frankly; I have not been prepared to give up the
convenience and quality of the M6 for 35mm work.

My last outing in Florida - through airports and now film processing - is
making me rethink it all.

I find that I have no interest in trying fine art work with 35mm, preferring
my Rollei SL66 or my 4x5 for that more
contemplative stuff, and use the 35mm more and more as a record keeping and
family snap shot
camera.  I'm almost embarrassed to use a M6 for happy snaps, sorta like
buying a SL500 just for going to
get groceries.

I'm sure that I'll have to get one of those 80GB transfer devices to offload
the cards on the road, and I'll be making
more CD's to keep the stuff off the computer - and some other means of mass
storage to handle the bulk of data, eventually . . . .

For now though the idea of a snapshot digital camera that has most of the
Leica quality is essential - I need to do
more path-finding regarding a full digital work flow, and see if it suits me
- or just stay with film based.  The D-Lux 3 seems
like a fairly inexpensive way to make the foray into that terrain, and I
suspect that it will prove to be quite enjoyable.
Worst case is it will become the snap shot camera that I take to Costco for
4x6 prints - best case - It will sway me
completely to the digital realm!

Thanks again - I appreciate the comments,

Norm

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] RE: Digital questions)