Subject: [Leica] Re: film vs. digital in my brain.
From: robert.jagitsch at gmail.com (Robert Jagitsch)
Date: Wed Sep 27 16:11:26 2006

> Digital takes the magic out of the process. Any idiot can get a decent
> photo with a digital camera -- just keep shooting and chimping, then fix it
> later.
> Film takes some expertise and smarts. I have really slowed down shooting
> since going digital because I get nearly no satisfaction from a procedure
> that requires so little skill and thought, no matter how good the result.

Wow.

I suppose one can put in as much skill and thought as one desires,
regardless of the medium.

I, on the other hand, have taken far more photographs, and gotten far
more satisfying photos than ever before, since going digital. This is
primarily because the budget for film and developing has dropped to
essentially zero. In my younger days, I worked at a camera store in
order to obtain discounts on film, processing, developer, paper, etc.
and I was very selective when exposing one of the 36 frames. If the
scene through the finder didn't look quite like I had envisioned, I
would not take the shot. Now, I don't have any hesitation, and
sometimes I'm quite surprised that the completed photo surpasses my
visionary expecations. I just wonder how many good shots I previously
passed up.

And as far as fixing things later, that's been going on forever
(dodge/burn); it's just done in the computer now instead of the
darkroom.