Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 WONDER MACHINE! :-)
From: kleinp at BATTELLE.ORG (Klein, Peter A)
Date: Fri Sep 22 10:49:14 2006

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> asked:
> I wonder how Leica was able to make it so all the lenses, the 12 and
so on
> could be used with the M8 while Epson was not able to do so with its
R1D1?

Well, y'see. . .

You've heard of the Gnomes of Solms?  Leica got hold of a
microminiaturization machine, via a long-time Leica employee whose East
German cousin had contacts with somebody in the old Soviet Institute for
Research into Molecular Elasticity Named After Alexei Pushinkrushchskii.

Leica shrunk a bunch of volunteer gnomes to 15 microns in height.  Then
they set them to work on the periphery of each M8 sensor.  The
micro-gnomes walk between each line of pixels, pushing the microlenses
slightly outward. The closer the pixel is to the edge of the sensor, the
farther out they have to push the microlens.

The miniaturization wears off after approximately six hours, so they
take the gnomes out of the camera after five hours, 45 minutes. One time
they cut it too close, and result was  a ruined M8 and a gnome who
needed 74 sutures, luckily covered by German workers' excellent health
insurance.  The gnomes do QC work for the remainder of the 7.5 hour
workday.

Every so often, a Leica owner will find a hot pixel in the shape of an
elfin footprint with a curled, pointed toe, proof of the fairy-tale
origins of their beloved digital camera.

--Peter