Subject: [Leica] Re: Slow M8 burst mode?
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Tue Sep 19 06:12:56 2006

My wife has a little Nikon digital Push and Pray:

- It takes two menu selections to turn the flash off.
- Shutter lag is measured in parts of a minute.
- While auto shut down takes nano-seconds.
- Sometimes it simply refuses to take the picture.

I am sure there are good logical reasons for all these behaviors. And
I am sure the designer's mother is very proud. However the damn thing
is landfill as far as I am concerned.

I do not need any features beyond a clear viewfinder, contrasty
rangefinder, shutter speed, aperture, shutter release and shutter
cocking. I want controls that with practice I can forget about. Ones
I can operate with hardly any thought. I watch the scene and
manipulate the camera unseen.

On an M camera with a tabbed 35, before I raise the camera to my eye,
I can have the focus and exposure close so that even in difficult
situations only minor tweaking is necessary. Heck, many times I don't
even raise the camera to my eye. Just lift and shoot.

John Collier