Subject: [Leica] Re: Powerbook 12" replacement
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Sep 18 08:25:49 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Ric wrote:

> Good response in Mac advantages. My old G3 tower won't give full
> pallet of photo controls in iPhoto.
>
> Have you heard anything about a small replacement for the 12?
>
> I've owned a 12 for a couple of years now and find its size perfect
> for a road machine. I've been trying to map my path for my next
> machine.
>

> On Sep 18, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
>
>> However if you are fan of really classy equipment, try to find a
>> late model 12" PowerBook. This is a little jewel of a laptop in a
>> brushed aluminum case. It would be a fitting compliment to a shiny
>> new Leica, or even a beat up old brassy Leica. It may not work
>> quite as fast as the current models but it certainly is pretty.
>>
>> Larry Z

The 12" Powerbook is a particular favorite for Road Warriors. Despite
being sturdier, it is lighter and about 1 cm smaller in length and
width than the comparable iBook and about 2.5 cm smaller in the same
dimensions than the replacement MacBook. Apple tried to simplify
their lineup by dropping the 12" and 14" laptops in favor of the new
13.5" models. I understand that they received a number of requests to
restore the 12" computers to their lineup - so the betting is that
they will introduce a replacement before the year is out. I don't
know if the new models will have the brushed aluminum case. It is
clearly more expensive to make than a polycarbonate plastic molding.
Apple's big cash cow is the educational marketplace and that is quite
sensitive to price. Plastic also permits a greater wi-fi range and
that is important when surfing the web at Starbucks. My advice is to
hang on to your 12" Powerbook for the next couple of years. If you
want to buy one, they should be available new or like new at
significant discounts from large vendors as they stock up on the
Intel models. Apple has promised that all new Mac specific software
will run on both Power PC and Intel computers for the foreseeable
future. About 4 years I would guess. That's the equipment replacement
cycle for academic institutions.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Powerbook 12" replacement)