Subject: [Leica] Trying to understand M8
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 16 13:32:12 2006

On 9/16/06 2:43 PM, "Dante Stella" <dstella1@ameritech.net> typed:

> Mehrdad, the coding is to tell the DSP how to process the image from
> the sensor.  It is a big deal and something Kodak 14n owners
> understand.  If you have a large chip without the right optimization,
> you will get CA, color shifts and other nasties.  This was a big deal
> on the Kodak, where you had Nikon's 45mm flange distance and all
> retrofocus lenses; it will be a bigger deal with a Leica, where you
> get around 28mm of flange distance and many older non-retrofocus lenses.
>
> On Sep 16, 2006, at 2:14 PM, mehrdad wrote:

I'm not getting this coding stuff I didn't go thought the Kodak Body thing
personally would anybody care to elaborate kindergarten style? By a
different example. Or not by example?
I thought it was like with the Nikons where you tell the camera what your
focal length and F stop are on your lens so they appear in the metadata or
you have the chip put in so you don't have to.
It seems like you're getting better image with the coding.
That of course effects me.
I would though like to know why.

That way I can forget about it tomorrow.

Mark Rabiner

40?46'58.65"N  73?49'31.68"W
Whitestone NY 11357

http://rabinergroup.com/