Subject: [Leica] Re BW modes; -> Bridge stars
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Fri Sep 15 13:57:37 2006

2006-09-15-16:42:39 Mark Rabiner:
> But its bumming me out I 'm not able to rate my shots with stars like with
> Bridge. This has become a vital part of my "workflo".

Yeah, me too.  What meanings have people assigned to various numbers of
stars upon thars?  I use:

 *      I'd probably throw this out if I weren't such a packrat

 **     This has something to recommend it, but doesn't quite make the cut
        -- maybe for reasons intrinsic to this picture, maybe because
        there are better ones of the same subject in this batch

 ***    This makes the cut for this project

 ****   This is better than that -- it's among the best from this
        project, and its interest probably transcends this project

 *****  This is one of my best pictures, and I definitely need not to
        miss it when I'm putting together my book or something

What I'd like, though, is two separate (orthogonal, we science geeks
like to say) rating scales: one for intrinsic technical/aesthetic
goodness of the photo as a photo, and one having to do with the photo's
value as a documentation of whatever's being documented -- if working
for clients, this'd be an attempt to capture some notion of *their* silly
point of view.

On the Mac, in addition to the stars, you can assign funny colors -- but
I'm not diggin' it.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re BW modes; -> Bridge stars)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re BW modes)