Subject: [Leica] Re:Skin tone - film vs. digital (not a debate)
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Sep 3 14:36:02 2006

Felix wondered:

>>What's the nature of the difference
>> > between the DMR and a D70/D200?
>Cost?

There is, obviously, a firmware difference between the Nikon and
Leica digital cameras/backs. I like the colouring of  both, though
the DMR seems to be closer to a Kodachrome... more muted colours
than,say, Fujichrome, but a wee bit more accurate, too.

But the HUGE difference is that every APS-C format digital SLR out of
Japan has an Anti-Alaising filter, to reduce Moire patterns in the
photos.  The DMR, in keeping with it's MF format heritage (it was
designed my Imacon - the big 6x6 camera back maker), does not have
one, and used software to solve the problem, if need be.  As AA
filters work by making the final image a bit "fuzzier" (for lack of a
better word) the DMR will deliver much finer detail than any of the
Japanese DSLRs - pixel for pixel.

As a result, the DMR is most often compared with the 16 mpixel Canon
1DS MkII, in terms of resolution.  Not bad for a 10.2 mpixel camera back. :-)

And, of course, the DMR accepts Leica glass. True, the Canon's will
do that, with an appropriate adapter, but only with stop down
metering and no auto-diaphragm.

And when you compare the 1 DS MkII, to the Leica R9 with DMR, even
new, the Leica is not a lot more, so I'm not sure cost enters into an
"apples to apples" comparison.

---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA