Subject: [Leica] New gallery up
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 31 19:53:02 2006

Philippe Orlent offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] New gallery up

> That jumping horse is a true masterpiece and a timeless shot!
> Thanks for showing: always a pleasure to (re)look at your work.
>> http://gallery2.leica-users.org/v/leicated/ <<

Philippe,
I was so close you should see the hoof prints on my back! ;-) I'm kidding!
:-)  It's shot with the Leica 400 2.8 plus a 2X extender.

The trick to making this shot work is to focus on the top railing of the
jump before teh horse is anywhere near. Then very slightly change the focus
point toward yourself. Obviously an imaginary spot that allows for the face
of the horse to be sharp with just enough depth of field to carry through to
the rider.

You do not focus and shoot this kind of situation as the horse will be
through the motion before you can hit the sharp mark, let alone the peak
action.

Thank you for your compliment.
ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] New gallery up)