Subject: [Leica] Harvard tuition
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 19:27:34 2006

In a message dated 8/30/2006 7:21:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
bd@bdcolenphoto.com writes:

So by  Feb. of my freshman year I'd landed a
part-time copyboy job at the  Washington Post, and that lead to a reporting
job, etc. etc. Had I gone to  BU, or Harvard, I doubt I'd have ever ended up
at the Post....So when all  is said and done, I'm glad things worked out as
they  did.....

-----------------

In my (Department of Defense) High School in Germany, mostly the kids went
to home state Universities, or the University of Maryland campuses sprinkled

across Europe.  Some went to "the academies."

We rotated stateside in the summer before  my senior year, the  month they
built the wall in Berlin.  I was pretty clueless about higher  education, as
no
one in my family had ever gone to college, but I knew it was  one of those
things you needed if you wanted to be an officer in the  military.

I really wanted to be a photographer, and dreamed of Brooks Institute, but
that was one of those things that my parents could not visualize.  First of
all, it was in California, and in a town no one had ever heard of.

Northwestern State College in Natchitoches had a great Journalism program
for a small school in the South.  Led by John C. Merrill, people were going
lots of big papers and even into *gasp* Television after graduation from
this
little program.

I got here in 1962 and Merrill moved to Missouri the same semester.   bleh!
Anyhow, I lucked out and worked at a tiny, but important weekly  newspaper
for
a genius newspaper woman by the name of Ursula Walker.

I might have enjoyed a bigger school. We only had 3000 students in those
days, but now I'm really happy things worked out this way.  I came back to
the
University in 1991 to work on the staff.

A number of my classmates are here too.  My (now) next door  neighbor was my
best pal in those days.

Oh yeah;  tuition, books, room, board and laundry was about $300 per
semester.  I had a VW in those days.  Gas was under 30 cents a  gallon.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana