Subject: [Leica] Letter from a friend - Katrina related (Longish)
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 11:50:10 2006

This is from a friend and former neighbor of mine, Michele Deck:

I went to sleep last night thinking that one year ago I was sleeping on  the
floor of my sister Kathy's house in Baton  Rouge with my life about  to
change
in ways I never thought possible.  We have learned a great lesson  on just
how much control (NONE!) we have in our life and what happens to  us.  This
note
is an update, so if you'd like to keep reading please do, if  not, know that
I and my family are so grateful for your prayers, thoughts and  concern over
the last year.  It has sustained and blessed us, and made it  possible for
us
to be okay.

Yesterday, Brian and I were driving through New  Orleans taking our grandson

to the park.  We rode through the areas I grew up in and there is such a
diversity of what has happened.  My high school, Mount  Carmel, is in full
swing,
 repaired by the generosity of a Saudi prince who personally donated almost
2
 million dollars to a Catholic school because he wanted to give his money to

someone directly to make a difference.  The houses around the school stand
mostly abandoned after 6 weeks of water up to 10 feet in them initially, and

people making their lives in other places a year later, or not having the
resources, strength, or desire to rebuild.  My uncle's house, not far from
the
school, has a contractor's sign in front and will be redone, others have
been
leveled to the ground in the same block.  The emptiness of so many
neighborhoods is eerie and you can feel the sadness as if driving through a
cemetery.

Brian and I have repaired our house in Metairie, but emotionally, I  could
not go back to it.  Our daughter, Melanie( she just graduated from  nursing
school and began a job last week) and her husband and son are living  there.

Maybe one day they can buy it from us.  It is still a great  family home.
Our
next door neighbor has not touched his house yet.   It still has no roof and
is
mold filled.  He is having trouble committing  to a decision of tearing it
down, trying to rebuild it,or selling it.

If  I ever had a moment when I felt sorry for myself this year, I would meet
someone  who immediately snapped me back with their own story.  I met a
woman
who  lost all she had to a house fire, including her children (I now thank
God
every  day we are all here safe and sound) and a evacuee from Katrina who is
driving a  cab in Minneapolis who lost his mother,  family home, and every
possession to Katrina.  He told me he feels he has  lost the only life he
had
ever known by living so far away.  He was  evacuated from this flooded home
3
days after Katrina and put on a plane that  day and flown to Chicago (where
they
were not  wanted), then to Battle  Creek (where they were not  wanted), and
ended up at an army base in Michigan.  I am so  lucky, aren't I?

We are settled in Baton  Rouge in the most  wonderful area called Santa
Maria in a new garden  home.  We are beginning to love the slower pace of
Baton
Rouge, the small airport,  and the kindness of the people here.

I again wanted to thank everyone for  your caring and kindness to my family.

Thank you for asking if we were  okay.  Thank you for caring.  If I can ever
be of service to you in  the future, please call, write, or email and I will
be there for you as you have  been for me.

Celebrate today, who knows what tomorrow  brings?

Michele  Deck

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Letter from a friend - Katrina related (Longish))