Subject: [Leica] 135mm Hektor-M on a Pentax DSLR
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue Aug 29 15:50:50 2006

I have a 135/4.5 Hektor that I seldom use, though I have always liked it.
It's kind of a beater but still makes good pix.  Too bad it won't fit on my
Pentax istDL, I thought.  Well, it fits OK but you have to hold it in place
while you shoot and it only shoots close-ups because of the film-to-flange
distance.  But what the heck, might as well give it a try.  Coaxed my
daughter out in the yard at dusk while there was still light enough to shoot
at ISO 800.  Stopped down the lens half a stop to f/5.6, shutter manually
set to 1/180 sec.  Not very promising at this point, I'm thinking, since the
effective focal length is now ~200mm and I'm hand-holding at 5 ft., trying
to keep the lens pressed against the camera body with left hand and shooting
with the right, moving my whole body back and forth to get focused on those
eyelashes in that smallish DSLR finder at f/5.6.  OK, click click click.
The result surprised me, since I never hear anyone rave about Hektors, but
obviously it's a sharp cookie:

http://pswango.smugmug.com/gallery/825205/2/91464637

--
Phil Swango