Subject: [Leica] Re: Wet Leicas
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon Aug 28 11:10:44 2006

2006-08-28-12:30:02 Lawrence Zeitlin:
> It may pain a LUGGER who just spent a couple
> of thousand dollars for one of Solm's finest to realize that Leicas
> are primitive cameras. A modern P&S with auto focus, auto exposure,
> zoom lens and electric film transport is far more complicated. But
> reliability comes with simple.

Yep.  Seems like a generalizable principle in mechanical design -- look
at how the world is filled with AK47 clones, not M16 clones.

Sure, there are other significant sociopolitical factors at work, and of
course some of our readers will feel their allergies flare up at the
very mention of weapons (you'll note that I'm steering well clear of any
discussion of the social costs or benefits of the existence of these
objects), but still: I'd contend that it can be strongly argued that in
this case Kalashnikov's crude-seeming device which rattles loosely when
you shake it, often works after having been buried in mud, and is
manufactured largely using cheap stampings and wood -- rather than
Stoner's high-tech, tight-tolerance main competitor -- has been ratified
by this particular "marketplace" as the more brilliantly functional
industrial design.

The forces in the camera marketplace would appear to be different enough
that the complex, high-tech and often flimsy have an excellent chance of
success;  but I don't think that invalidates Mr. Zeitlin's basic
observation about intrinsic reliability.  Long-term reliability and
repairability of a camera just don't seem to be what will determine its
success these days.

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Re: Wet Leicas)