Subject: [Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha@mac.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 22:46:40 2006

Lew:

[I'm reposting this with the correct subject tag, so that we have
only one discussion going on this subject. Sorry.]

Thanks.

What's the significance of applying/not applying noise reduction?
What would have happened if you had warmed up the skin tone of the
woman sitting on the sofa?

Noise reduction is applied using Photoshop plugins such as Noise
Ninja or NeatImage, which reduce the "grain" somewhat -- if you push
this too far, you destroy detail. It's a matter of taste of how much
grain you want -- indeed the digital noise of the Ricoh GR-D looks
very much like film grain in B&W -- similar in concept to darkroom
developing and printing, where you can accentuate of reduce grain by
the choice of developer or contrast in printing. For example,  in the
picture of the woman in the spectacle shop (third picture) I applied
a bit of noise reduction because the picture (shot at ISO 800) has a
lot of grain, but the version without noise reduction also looks
good; as I said: a matter of taste. On the other hand, in the picture
of the woman standing with a mannequin in the shop window (fifth
pciture), I did not apply any noise reduction because this picture
has less small detail, and noise removal made some parts of the photo
too smooth, such as the reflection of the mannequin on the left wall
of the shop -- again a matter of taste.

By "woman sitting on the sofa", do you mean the picture of the woman
reading a newspaper or the one of the woman (and man) sleeping at the
railway station? In either case the JPG files that you are viewing
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/> are grayscale, so any
toning would not show up. But I print using a RIP called ImagePrint
which does allow toning -- and, again, the tone you choose is a
matter of taste.

--Mitch/Bangkok