Subject: [Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Sun Aug 27 16:46:11 2006

Here's a project that pushed the film/digital limits - original was a
"highway tunnel of trees", portrait-format photograph taken with M6,
35mm Summicron on Velvia 50. The client wanted the print in
landscape-format. For the bicycle room in his health club. As a 10x16
print. That's 10x16 feet. From half the frame of the 35mm transparency!

After scanning the slide with my Imacon Photo scanner and a few hours
massaging with Photoshop, I had scraped every bit of photographic
data I could out of that thumbnail sized piece of film. The detail
really held up quite well at billboard size, and the client loved it.

I've made other clients happy with a catalog photo from a three
megapixel Vivitar camera. I've used a point and shoot Ricoh for
20x30" prints that look very sharp and hang in offices at the Fire
Department, Coast Guard and City Hall. I still take the Hasselblad up
for aerials. Mostly I'm breezing along with my "Lympa" Olympus E-330,
thrilled with the results at 7.5 megapixels both with Leica and
Olympus lenses. And yesterday I was sorting through some old stuff
and could not bear to throw out an old pinhole camera I had made out
of a soapbox, which had taken some great shots on 5x7 enlarging paper.

  Like Ted, says, it all depends on what you need to make the client
(or yourself) happy.

Gary Todoroff (mostly lurking or shooting lately)
http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Digital enlargement & enlightenment, please.)