Subject: [Leica] A couple more beauty shots
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Wed Aug 23 10:13:03 2006

Ric Carter wrote:

> "If you are one of those "24X36 magic formula/never crop" folks...."

Naww, I'm not. As I mentioned before, I do enjoy the challenge of
composing in the viewfinder rather than in the darkroom (or computer),
however.  I'll consider cropping this one after ruminating over it for
awhile :-) . Personally, I think the pier adds depth and anchors the
shot.  Of course, I also tend to use the "framing" cliche wa-a-a-y too
much in scenics.

My real joy is "square shooting" with my old Rollei SL66.  We tend to
view the world horizontally -- using the horizon as our reference -- but
in reality our peripheral vision is in the vertical plane, too. In that
sense, a square format composition is more realistic.  Anyway, it's fun
to play with.

Thanks for the comments.

Craig

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] A couple more beauty shots)