Subject: [Leica] On 50s
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Mon Aug 21 18:53:28 2006

And Don Dory wrote:

> The Sumitar is about as good as the first generation Summicron with the
> Summicron having a flatter field.  You will find that the older
> Summicron
> that you have is the first version where they were trying to take
> dollars
> out of the lens and therefore it really is only modestly better than
> the
> Summitar and that would be from the better coatings.

Well, I've always liked my Summitar, even though I have always also
wished for a DR Summicron. But given theses comments, perhaps I'll stop
worrying about close focusing, and just be happy with what I have. It
came, in M-adaptor, with my single-stroke M3, purchased in 1972 for
only $125. Of course, the shutter turned out to have a pinhole,
requiring fairly expensive repairs, but I've never regretted the
purchase. With a 35mm Summaron RF and a 90mm Tele-Elmerit it's still my
favorite camera.

I'm wondering about the coating, though. A couple of years later,
living in Houston's humidity, I noticed fungus on one of the Summitar's
internal elements.  My memory is that at the time recoating by Leitz
was about $60, and that a local camera store had a similar lens for
about the same price. Rather than take a chance on a lens someone else
was getting rid of, I had mine recoated.

So, I wonder, if the quality difference between a Summitar and an early
Summicron is mainly the coatings, does my mid-70s coating lessen the
difference?

--Eric

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] On 50s)