Subject: [Leica] Another famous photographer went
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Mon Aug 21 12:31:43 2006

> hoppyman@bigpond.net.au writes:
>
> Walt, regarding those particular fighting men, I seem to recall a
> documentary saying that the famous photo was in fact a restaging of the
> actual event, similar to Gen McArthur wading ashore more than once. I see
> no
> cloned smoke clouds though!

Hoppy,

The famous photo is the second one made that day by Joe Rosenthal. The flag
used in the original photo was deemed to be too small so a second, larger
flag was obtained from an officer on a ship offshore for the 2nd iconic
image. In that sense it was 'staged' but this was done to enable both the
remaining Japanese and American marines fighting to secure the landing strip
and remainder of the island to see that the US had taken Mt. Suribachi
before they had in-fact 'secured it'.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] Another famous photographer went)