Subject: [Leica] Another famous photographer went
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Aug 21 07:35:49 2006

Walt, regarding those particular fighting men, I seem to recall a
documentary saying that the famous photo was in fact a restaging of the
actual event, similar to Gen McArthur wading ashore more than once. I see no
cloned smoke clouds though! And unquestionably the image stands as a
powerful and historic one of genuine warriors in symbolic triumph,
irrespective of the detail of its origin.
Anyone else recall reading or watching about this?
There seem to be a number of fascinating stories circulating regarding
several very famous photos from that era. Capa's falling soldier from the
Spanish Civil War and the damage of those D Day negs. I read recently in a
British magazine, an article covering the darkroom technician who was
famously the culprit. (His family insists that the incident never happened)
No disrespect meant either to the Corps nor Capa.

Cheers
Hoppy
M10 guy, never shot at.