Subject: [Leica] Contest suggestion
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Aug 20 20:49:47 2006

Scott McLoughlin offered:

Scott mon ami this isn't to rain on your suggested parade, it's trying to
KISS it!
"Keep it Simple Sweet Heart!!" ;-)

> While admitting photographs made with any type of gear,
> I think it would be nice to be able to specify one's gear
> and film and so on when one submits a photograph to
> the competition.<<<

Nope it doesn't matter until after the fact. If need be only the winner!
Besides who cares what gear they use when judging the pictures? If I should
be so unfortunate to be a judge I don't want to know anything about
anything, particulalry stupid titles, gear or any other bubble head crap. I
just want absolutely magical photographs to look at!

If I need to know something to clarify a question of the photograph the
photog can be contacted for it. Certainly if the picture is confusing and a
contender against another possiblity as a winner.

 > First, it's of interest to people, particularly as the database
> of submissions grows month after month.<<

OK only the guy who wins, the rest of them who cares!

 > Second, depending upon how successful the contest becomes
> (volume of submissions per month), we leave open the option
> for a few different categories of winners - Best Leica M Shot,
> Best RF Digital Shot, Best Ultrawide Shot, Best MF/LF Shot,
> etc.<

Sorry you're just making this a big pile of work for even suggesting it! Get
the idea out of your head about who cares about equipment. If we did it
would be only pictures using a Leica. It isn't, therefore who cares about
the hardware when the only important thing is... "the best picture of the
month!

> Stuff like that. It's not a "should" issue - just in the name
> of potentially making the contest that much more fun.<<<

No it isn't going to make it more fun it's going to make it a great big pile
of damn work on the computer and screen none of us needs! That is of course
if you have nothing else to do in your life but do this every month.

Just leave it alone as.... "BEST PICTURE OF THE MONTH!" PERIOD!

ted

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Contest suggestion)