Subject: [Leica] Contest computer failure, alas
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Aug 19 08:27:17 2006

Yesterday I announced the LUG monthly contest and a server that held its
website.

Last night that server suffered a major disk failure that's going to require
me to replace the disk, reinstall all of the software, and restore
everything from backups, which would be difficult under the best of
circumstances. But this server was an experiment for me; I put it in a data
center instead of in my garage, because I wanted the higher speed
communication that a data center could provide. So I have to retrieve it
from the data center to work on it, or else do the work there.

 I won't bore you with the details, but I fear it will be at least a week
before I can get this thing working again, and I only do backups once per 24
hours, so I'm not sure a lot of the most recent updates (such as people
creating accounts) will have been backed up.

I hate computers.

Replies: Reply from jwlee01 at gmail.com (John Lee) ([Leica] Contest computer failure, alas)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Contest computer failure, alas)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Contest computer failure, alas)