Subject: [Leica] RE: Ted Grant's Swimmer
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri Aug 18 14:00:13 2006

A master knows no age.  These are just sensational.

This image brings to mind a recent comment about contemporary jazz
soloists--young players often have great chops, but they play too many
notes.  It's the pauses that make great music.  A while ago I was listening
to a Rosemary Clooney CD, a recording made late in her long career.  In her
performance of "A Foggy Day"--a tune that's probably been recorded thousands
of times--she added one magnificent touch: during the phrase in the verse
"And as I walked the foggy streets alone", she added a slight pause between
"streets" and "alone."  It perfectly enhanced the lonely mood of the verse,
and made a great song all the better.

The judicious use of a shutter button in an era of limitless digital bursts
makes all the difference.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA (who is awaiting his Kowa 6's return from a CLA.)