Subject: [Leica] [OT] Doc Watson
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Mon Aug 14 09:23:22 2006

I'm also a Doc Watson fan.  For me his most interesting recordings are the
older (1960-3) Folkways ones that feature members of Doc's family and also
his friend Clarence Ashley.  There's very little of Doc's virtuoso
flatpicking on these recordings, but a ton of great material that shows off
the various styles of music-making common in Appalachia in the early part of
the century, recorded in the field by Ralph Rinzler.  I can recommend:

Doc Watson and Clarence Ashley.  The Original Folkways Recordings: 1960-62
Smithsonian/Folkways CD SF 40029/30 (2 CD set includes 30pp booklet/liner
notes)

The Doc Watson Family
Smithsonian/Folkways CD SF 40012

In fact, I'm listening right now.  Thanks for the nudge, Tina and Brian.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE