Subject: [Leica] Wanted to buy (39mm hood)
From: kleinp at BATTELLE.ORG (Klein, Peter A)
Date: Fri Aug 11 10:28:25 2006

Lee:  The best 39mm Leica hood I've seen is this one:

http://tinyurl.com/pnyb7

If you can't use this link, go to "The Auction Site that Dare Not Speak
Its Name," and search for these three words:  Leica hood beautiful.

This hood is vented, and has a turned-in cone, like the Leica shades, so
you only see a thin arc in the viewfinder.  Essentially it's made like
the old metal clip-on Leica hood, except that it screws in rather than
clips on. Beautiful workmanship.  I leave it on my lens all the time
when I'm out shooting, and use a "hood hat" or a lens cap attached to
the front of the hood if necessary.

The "heavystar" hoods are good, too, but they are straight, so you see
more of them in the finder.

Both the heavystar and the "beautiful" Hong Kong hoods leave enough room
for the fingers to operate the aperture ring on the DR Summicron.  With
the current Leica clip-on hood, I can only barely fit my fingers in the
gap between the hood and the focus ring when the lens is on or near
infinity. Now, I wear size 13-14 shoes and have hands to match, so your
mileage may vary.

Hope this is useful!
--Peter