Subject: [Leica] Cape Town Jazz, Photos
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Mon Aug 7 08:26:53 2006

Just dropping by to say hello from cold, gray, and wet
Cape Town.  Despite the weather, it's my favorite
city, in large part because the music (Abdullah
Ibrahim's hometown) and the food (you haven't lived
until you've had a Cape Malay lobster curry) are so
good.

I spent last Monday photographing the music or, at
least, some of the people who make it.  The scene was
Swinger's, a local jazz club that's hosted a weekly
jam session for over a decade.

I was out there with Marshall Sealy, a New York jazzer
and freelancer, who happened to be in town to
participate in the International Horn Symposium:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/SwingersJuly2006/Marshall02>

Alvin Dyers, a terrific guitarist who's become a good
friend over the last few years, leads the house band:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/SwingersJuly2006/AlvinAndNick01>

The young and the old, the famous and the obscure,
South Africans and overseas guests, everyone's
welcome, as long as they can keep up.  The gallery is
here:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/SwingersJuly2006>

Equipment is strictly OT:  Pentax istDL and Pentax
50/1.4 @ 3200.  I'll refrain from singing the praises
of this lovely little camera.  (Just glanced at the
archives and noticed Phil's been doing just that.)

I've got my M2 with me, but I'm hardly using it.
Perfect camera for this trip would be a Bessa R2A with
the istDL's innards.  Great viewfinder and an M-mount
married to surprisingly good image quality.  CV should
be able to pull it off about 1000 bucks.

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

DEMOCRACY OF SPEED, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html