Subject: [Leica] IIIc or IIIf?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Aug 5 22:13:28 2006

Bart:  I have both of these lenses.  The 90/3.5 is simply outstanding, and
delivers great image quality wide open as well as stopped down.  It is also
small and light enough that you can take it anywhere and not worry about it
weighing too much.   It is my travel 90mm lens.  My old 1960s 90/2.8
Elmarit is a lovely lens for portraits, and fine stopped down, but not as
good as the 90/3.5 VC at f/3.5 or 4.

The 50/1.5 Nokton:  Some love it.  Some hate it because its bokeh can
sometimes be harsh--mostly distant out of focus highlights when you're
focused in close.   It is a little sharper over the whole frame than the
50/1.4 classic Summilux.  Basically, I use the 50/2 Summicron when I don't
think I'm going to need the extra 2/3 stop.  If I know I'm going to do
available light, the Nokton goes in my bag with no regrets--it works find
as a general-purpose lens stopped down.

My take:  Go ahead, get both.  I got both mine used, very reasonably, and
have no regrets.  One caveat:  The Nokton obscures a significant portion of
the barnack camera's viewfinders, so an external 50mm finder may make life
easier.

--Peter