Subject: OT; was Re: [Leica] Some China photos
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Thu Aug 3 20:28:45 2006

Mark Rabiner said:

> Location: Extended Stay - The Village of Elmsford, Westchester County, NY
> 10523

I've just finished assembling and configuring the most amazing gadget. It's
about the size and shape of a paperback book, but weighs less. It has two
short antennas on the back, and a 12-volt automotive power cord (in addition
to the regular mains power cord). If I turn it on, it becomes an 802.11g
access point, and makes a 1xEV-DO uplink connection. Any computer within
range of the access point gets 1-megabit downlink/200kb uplink internet
service, and it's flat-rate per month (no usage
charge).

I tested it by putting two family members in my car, and putting it in the
car. I went for a drive. The person in the back seat took a Digital Rebel
photo and emailed it to someone in Norway, who did some silly edits and then
emailed it to the person in the front seat. All the while I was driving
across the Santa Cruz mountains to Half Moon Bay, miles from anything
resembling civilization.

This gizmo will work in about 70% of the land area of North America, and
several other countries besides. It uses CDMA cell technology, so it won't
work in Europe.

I think my next step will be to get the 802.11 adapter for my Canon SLR and
try taking pictures from a moving car that are beamed live to a web server
somewhere.

Brian

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) (OT; was Re: [Leica] Some China photos)