Subject: [Leica] OT: "Grand Prix" out on DVD and it's well done
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Jul 30 23:27:49 2006

A few months ago...well, okay, sometime this year, last year? Well
SOMETIME, we were talking here about the film "Grand Prix". Frank had
a few stern words about it, not too favorable, but I still vividly
remember the photography.

Now it's out as a two DVD release - newly remastered from the original
65mm. It's a luscious print which works very very well.

In addition there are supplemental materials that are quite
interesting - a piece on Formula 1 in the 60s with many of the
still-remaining drivers and sport historians that's pretty neat. As an
18 year old when I first saw it - well make that 19 - I remember being
unhappy with some of the "arty" visuals. My (hopefully) more adult
self finds them quite appealing.

The story is nothing special but the racing sequences - especially Spa
in the rain - are amazing. The on-track shots, many filmed using a
Ford GT40 camera car driven by World Champion Phil Hill, are superb.
And I love the shots made with the cameras bolted directly to the car
so you watch driver, the suspension movements, half-shafts turning.
VERY spiffy.

It was fun to watch the opening race at Monte Carlo, comparing it to
the 2006 version.

For something that FEELS like being there out on the track - well this
is a winner.

And yes, there ARE Leicas in use by the photojournalists but mostly
it's Nikons, a few Hassys and ubiquitous twin-lens reflexes.

A good addition to a collection.

Adam