Subject: [Leica] Leica just curious
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 15:40:35 2006

Frank, while I, too, have lots of problems with USPS on foreign shipments
--
particularly the high cost when I want to insure a package...I bought an
inexpensive, somewhat inacurate, scale at a yard sale and, that way, save a

When I see I will be shipping to say, Australia, I weigh the package and
exaggerate a little to find the weight...Then I look up the cost on my  USPS
web
site and, if it looks too high, I either pay part of the cost or, if
possible, re-wrap, to see if I can cut the cost...It's time consuming but,
as I  see
it, part of the job of being on Ebay...

My one big mistake on an expensive item was to ship abroad by registered
mail instead of insured mail...Registered mail is insured for just a bit
less
than $50usd...Insured mail covers the entire amount if lost but requires
special
 customs documents and greater expense...I sweated for several weeks to see
if I  would have a non-delivery problem but, thank goodness, several months
have gone  by and I have never heard a word...But I will never use
registered
mail  again...

I have guess wrong several times, some times in my favor and some times in
the buyer;s favor, so I feel it all works out...

Besides, I manage to get lots of empty boxes from the post office...UPS, as
has been said, is very good but much too expensive, except in unusual cases,

which have not come up for me...

What helps a lot for me is that the Post Office is close by and there's
plenty free parking...I never have had to wait more than five or six minutes
get served...

regards, bob cole