Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 328
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Jul 29 08:32:37 2006

On Jul 29, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Ken wrote:

> As several
> folk have pointed out, there was a time when the USA ruled the
> marketplace, so it didn't matter whether or not our trading systems
> were efficient.  The USPS does not make it easy for us to ship
> outside the USA.  It is cumbersome, confusing, ill-managed.  IMHO, it
> is NOT designed to be a part of the global marketplace, at all.

Indeed you are right. The USPS was intended to provide a public service
to all Americans by delivering mail to ANY address in the USA. Until
recently it operated at a considerable loss, made up by the taxpayers,
for delivering newspapers, books, parcel post packages, etc to the
hinterlands. Finally it is a government agency and suffers the
inefficiencies of all government agencies worldwide. I have had the
same difficulties with the UK's Royal Mail. But then the USPS makes
daily deliveries to my rural home in an unincorporated area of upstate
New York. There can't be much profit in that. The gasoline to get up my
dirt driveway probably costs more than the value of the stamp.

If you want quick, reliable, convenient service go to one of the profit
making package delivery firms, UPS, DHL, Fedex, etc. They deliver the
package to the shipper's satisfaction or they go out of business. But
be prepared to pay for the convenience. UPS rates are about twice that
of the USPS. Other carriers are still higher.

Larry Z