Subject: [Leica] Re: 135 mm lens
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jul 28 15:29:31 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:13 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> From: "H. Ball Arche" <h_arche@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] basic older M lens question
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> Totally an opinion here, but I think the best solution
> for an occasional-use 135 is to get an LTM to M
> adaptor, and go to the auction site and look for an
> old Canon Serenar. It'll be break-your-back heavy, but
> wonderfully sharp, sturdy, and inexpensive. Check out
> the old LTM Nikkors too. You can usually pick up a
> nice one for US$80-90; or at least I did 2 years ago.
> Check out Gandy's site in the screw-mount users lens
> guide.
> Arche
>
> --- G Hopkinson <hoppyman@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Folks, pardon the basic question.
>>
>> I'm looking at getting an inexpensive 135mm for
>> occasional use on my M6 .85.
>>
>> I've read a little but am still unsure on some
>> mechanics regarding which
>> ones have the detachable mount or require the viso?
>> system.
>>
>> Herr Putt's review of the f4 Elmar 135 has nary a
>> word on any adaptor
>> requirement.
>>
>> The lens I have inquired about is currently in our
>> FS from a member in
>> Singapore.
>>
>> It's listed as M mount. I have no idea as yet
>> regarding whether it works
>> normally on my M or requires the adaptor system.
>>

>> Thanks for setting me straight
>>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Hoppy

I totally agree with Arche. I've been using a 135 mm f3.5 Canon Serenar
lens on my M3 for the last 20 years. It is a wonderfully sharp short
telephoto. The lens itself is a four element design with the cemented
center element a very large and solid block of glass. That's why the
lens is so heavy. The weight tends to minimize camera shake. At least
that's what I keep telling myself.

If you buy a Canon 135 mm lens, try to get one of the later versions in
a black anodized body. These were intended for the later model Canon RF
cameras and allegedly perform better than the earlier chromed lenses.
The Leica 35 mm adaptor activates the 135 mm frame line on my M3. I
don't know about the M6.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: 135 mm lens)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: 135 mm lens)