Subject: [Leica] 6 Days again photo Op! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 27 13:25:32 2006

OK here's another of how the media rat pack act sometimes with out thought
of the danger.

The Photo OP

Israel, 1967 -- On the opening day of conflict the media nearly became

their own story during a "War Zone"  bus tour.

On a road in southern Israel the press bus became stuck in the sand and

everyone got off to push, those who could not participate wandered off the

road looking for souvenirs.  Suddenly an Israeli officer yelled at them to

get back on the road as there were land mines out there!  Now try to

imagine a dozen journalists attempting to step as lightly as though they

were walking on eggs.

Photographers on the other hand realizing the photo potential were camera's

at the ready waiting for the inevitable "boom!"   Fortunately or

unfortunately, depending on your perspective, it didn't happen.  As

everyone returned safely, one photographer smilingly re-marked, "Damn there

goes a Pulitzer!"

Later we drove deeper into the Sinai passing an Israeli tank on our side of

the road and when we were about fifty yards ahead of it,  it blew-up with a

window shattering roar and that of every ones nerves .

The real unnerving thing; we had just driven over the same stretch of mined

road!

During that same day, we arrived in a small kibbutz which earlier had been

under shell fire from Egyptian forces.  The villagers were frantic at our

arrival as they feared all the dust and people moving about would attract

more shelling.  They were assured by the military group leader this would

not happen.  He then proceeded to hold a press briefing on high ground

where we could observe Israeli artillery fire landing on the Egyptians.

Explaining with some satisfaction the officer said, "Those are our shells

exploding on the enemy."  A few moments later there was a completely

different sound and a reporter yelled out, " Yeah and that's the

Egyptian's sending them back!" Nothing like returning fire!

Everyone dived for cover. Then back on the bus and out of there!

Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Slide projection)
Message from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Slide projection)