Subject: [Leica] Info on Pentax digital
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun Jul 23 08:22:57 2006

daniel Ridings wrote:
Once again, my question is: What's the catch?

Phil, this is the camera (the ist DL) that your daughter is pleased with,
right?
========================

Yes, Daniel, that's the one Juliet has.  She still loves it, as do I.  She
has been using it for some free-lance work (product shots for retail web
sites, portraits, editorial assignments, etc.).  I just checked prices and
you are right.  A-zon has it for $528 _before_ a $100 rebate from Pentax and
will knock off another $30 if you apply for one of their Visa cards.  With
free shipping, that would bring the grand total down to $398 US.  That's
with the kit lens, which is quite decent for most purposes.  That makes it
cheaper than some of the higher end p/s digitals.  And it's a darned good
camera, too.

>From what I read, the K100 will add IS and a few other goodies but nothing
else major.  I think Pentax is adding the rebate just to clear the shelves
before the new models hit.  For some interesting b/w images from the Pentax,
take a look at Juan Buhler's book site that he posted yesterday to the LUG:
http://www.jbuhler.com/html/bookIMGP7063.html

For a sample of Juliet's portait work in color:
http://pswango.smugmug.com/gallery/1624331
(shots by Juliet of her friend Rachel).

Uh-oh.  Now you've got me ready to get one for myself.

(apologies for cross-posting to LUG and RUG)

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE