Subject: [Leica] Smart ass re-marks.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Jul 19 16:53:28 2006

Smart Ass Remarks 1

I have this strange sort of humor, sick some folks say, where I make an
innocent smart ass comment at times placing me in harms way. Usually the
comment is made due to the curiosity of others wondering what I'm doing.

While shooting a National Film Board documentary on the automotive industry
in Canada I found myself in a situation I knew I could create a smart ass
remark.  Of course each time I get caught I swear I'll never do it again.

I was at the General Motors assembly plant in St. Theresa, Quebec. In the
morning I was given a guided tour acquainting me with the assembly line
prior to starting the photography.  During the afternoon I was on my own to
shoot the action of building cars along the assembly lines.

During the shooting I had gone outside through one door and returned to the
assembly line through another giving it no thought I maybe perceived as an
intruder to the plant. So continuing my pictures until I became aware of
being carefully observed. A worker was obviously following me, watching
every time I put the camera to my eye.

I started to deliberately shoot close-ups of assembly gear, worker's hands,
parts of cars, etc.  Mean while keeping an eye on the character following
me, as I continued shooting bits and pieces sucking him in deeper and
deeper.  I could tell his curiosity was getting the better of him. Finally
not being able to contain himself any longer, he walked up to me and
challenged:  "I saw you come in from the yard, who are you taking pictures
for?"

The demanding tone of the voice, his body stance, everything indicated I had
sucked him in beautifully. It was about to be a  Smart Ass Comment winner!.

"Well, uh, well," I somewhat stammered.  Then blurted out, "Geez are they

ever going to be mad at Ford when they find out I got caught."

The guy gasped, nearly going ballistic. He grabbed me, then my cameras,
started yelling for someone to get security and to help him hold me.
Meanwhile I just stood there waiting to see what would happen. All the while
trying not to laugh.

It was obvious the situation was getting out of hand with his grip on me
like I was really an evil spy. So I fessed up and gave him a note from the
GM PR director explaining whom I was and all employees should do their
utmost to assist my successful assignment!

He turned scarlet, then face to face, eyes into eyes, literally as close as
he could get without his nose touching mine, he spat out, "Smart ass!" And
stomped away.

I felt bad and swore I would never be a smart ass ever again.   Well........
you know! Sometimes it's so easy it just happens.. ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from jsluss at hughes.net (John Sluss) ([Leica] Smart ass re-marks.)
Reply from nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts) ([Leica] Smart ass re-marks.)