Subject: [Leica] Re: Slide copying
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Jul 18 15:56:58 2006

On Jul 18, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Richard wrote:

> I've often though this would be a good way to make digital slide
> copies, too, analogous to making them on film.  You'd get lower
> resolution with most cameras and less exposure control than with a
> good slide scanner but it would be an awful lot faster and might be
> more than good enough.
>
> Has any one tried to copy slides this way and were you satisfied with
> the results?

Slide copiers have been around for some time. Heiland made a line of
copiers which contained a calibrated light source. You attached your
SLR to the moving arm, slipped a slide in the mount on the illuminated
base, focused, clicked the shutter and Presto, you had a slide copy.
Even Leica got into the act. The original Digilux and Digilux Zoom
offered a slide copying accessory that screwed into the tripod socket.
A close up lens equipped slide holder was positioned over the camera
lens, you slipped in a slide, pointed the defice toward a light and
clicked the shutter. You now had a digital copy of the slide at the
full camera resolution of 1.3 mp.

I suspect that with a good 5 to 8 mp dSLR and a precision copying stand
like the Heiland, you would get as good digital copies of slides as
with a scanner.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Slide copying)