Subject: [Leica] Colored light, or pure light?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jul 15 06:28:36 2006

Peter Klein offered:

> After I re-posted this photo, in response to Ted's Maxim #7, I had a
> thought.  Here's the original:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_09web
>
> And here's a B&W conversion, with starker contrast:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/Arizona/az4215_09BWweb
>
> What do you think?  I have an opinion, but I'd like to hear others'
> first.<<<<

Peter,
I have this gut feeling in both cases you are not getting the best out of
this exposure, maybe. This is something one never knows until they crop
tighter and try it.

Because the needles/spines, sharp pointing things stand out so distinctively
due to the strong back lighting, have you tried cropping tighter with
greater concentration on the plant rather than the "whole plant and desert?"
The "light content - effect" in both isn't being seen as strongly as I think
it could be.

One other thing.... did you bend you knees for a lower almost straight on
kind of angle, rather than the looking down at it? Yeah I know you'd
probably have got stuck in the butt with like shaped pointy things if you
did. ;-)

If I were shooting this I'd have shot one similar to yours, a kind of
establishing picture, but definitely worked the plant and light by going in
and shooting tighter. It just seems there's greater potential here than
you've shown in this rather loose "overall" type photo.

Quite possibly you did and didn't post.  If not, please take a moment and
run out in the desert and shoot a few more. ;-) ;-)

ted